Thursday, May 8, 2014

Menu plan first two weeks of May

  I slacked, and I have no real reason except I didn't get anything done until today (except writing the menu, grocery shopping, and making meals).  Tired is not the word for it this week!

May 5 - Lunch: leftover pizza/ sub
             Dinner:  spaghetti marinara, salad, bread
        6 - Lunch: leftovers
             Dinner:  bread and salad with Honey Avocado Cilantro Vinaigrette (TLC)
        7 - Lunch: leftovers
             Dinner:  Spring Menu #2 (Dr. Ornish)
        8 - Lunch:  leftovers
             Dinner:  out
        9 - Lunch:  leftovers
             Dinner:  pizza
      10 - Lunch:  leftovers
             Dinner:  Baked Chimichangas
      11 - Lunch:  leftovers
             Dinner:  pot roast, veggies, bread, salad
      12 - Lunch:  pbjs
             Dinner:  curried chicken salad (TLC)
      13 - Lunch:  biryani (I fake the funk)
             Dinner:  Spring Menu #3 (Dr. Ornish)
      14 - Lunch:  ??
             Dinner:  leftovers
      15 - Lunch:  leftovers
             Dinner:  out
      16 - Lunch: leftovers
             Dinner:  pizza
      17 - Lunch:  leftovers
             Dinner:  vegetable stew
      18 - Lunch:  leftovers
             Dinner:  sloppy janes

  You'll notice baked chimichangas and sloppy janes made their way back on to the menu.  So a recipe as promised -
Spaghetti Marinara (older picture with Veganomicon's beanballs, I have since gotten rid of all non stick cookware), this is adapted slightly from my mother who copied Fillipe's basic marinara to the best of her ability (and I go vegetarian for the cookies on India street, they called up for me to make sure they were shortening and not lard because I'm super memorable [no, seriously, the son remembered me from something like 8 years prior when I hollered at my sister, even remembering her name]):
1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped (or minced if you like would be fine)
2-200 garlic cloves minced (totally up to how much garlic you like, we do 6-8 in my kitchen depending on the size of the cloves)
28 oz tomato sauce
1 medium bunch of basil
1 pinch sugar
 evoo

cook onion and garlic in evoo until onion is translucent (I cook the onion alone until it's getting close then add the garlic to prevent burning, different stove tops need different things!); add tomato sauce, sugar, and basil.  Simmer about 45 minutes.  I sometimes add oregano or red pepper flakes, the sugar cuts the acidity of the tomatoes - do not omit it, but don't over do it either!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home